ZocdocAnswersDoes the position you sleep in have any affect on your body?

Question

Does the position you sleep in have any affect on your body?

I feel like when I wake up on my side, whatever side it is is very sore. Is it better to sleep on your back? Is there a better position for sleeping than others or does it not make a difference?

Answer

Sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle. Sleeping well is essential for your brain to go to work refreshing and rejuvenating your body and mind. Although sleep position may seem a trivial matter of personal preference, the way you habitually arrange your body for sleeping may have profound effect on the quality of your sleep and therefore your overall health. Obviously, uncomfortable sleeping position can contribute to your unrestful sleep that can affect your emotion and possibly physical health. (If you're waking up feeling stiff or sore after a night's sleep, it could also be a sign that your current mattress is no longer up to its task). However, in general getting enough sleep can be difficult if you can't seem to find a comfortable position. There are definitely some health benefits of a good sleep position that helps you to have a restful sleep. For instance, lying on your back with your neck slightly elevated is thought to be the best position for balancing out your body weight and keeping your internal organs aligned. A poor sleep position (i.e., lying on your stomach) can affect the quality of your sleep, and you may end up not getting enough sleep on regular basis causing your immune system to become weakened. A weakened immune system may not be sufficient to fight off germs so that you become sick more frequently. You should also consult with a primary care physician to see if you might have a medical condition contributing to your ache that interferes with your sleep.