ZocdocAnswersWhy do I get lower back pain when I haven't eaten?

Question

Why do I get lower back pain when I haven't eaten?

If I go a long time without eating, I get pain in my lower back. Does this mean that something is wrong with my kidneys? It seems like it's getting worse over time.

Answer

Lower back pain--and especially lower back pain that doesn't go away--can be very frustrating! I hope that you can get some relief soon. In general, there are many different conditions that can present with pain in the lower back. One of the most common, particularly in older adults, is degenerative disc disease in the spine. Certain kind of physical activity can also lead to muscle strains or sprains that can make this kind of pain worse. Physical therapy and anti-inflammatory medications can be very helpful in this situation. Depending upon a person's age and other health conditions, it is also possible for arthritis or even vertebral fractures from osteoporosis to cause back pain In addition, pain in the lower back can also reflect an underlying issue with one of the abdominal or pelvic organs, including the intestines, kidneys, bladder, or ovaries. There isn't a direct correlation with eating and lower back pain, but if you are noticing a connection between these two symptoms, that is definitely something you should discuss with your physician. He or she can take a thorough history to find out more information about your pain as well as your personal health risks. In addition, a physical exam is often very helpful in suggesting a likely cause for back pain, as well as what sort of management strategies will be helpful. Hopefully you will be feeling back to your old self very soon!