Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there a way to handle my heart burn symptoms without prescription drugs?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to handle my heart burn symptoms without prescription drugs?


I'm kind of paranoid about taking pills and drugs, but I have pretty bad heart burn. I'm 29 years old and its been going on for a few years. Any way to deal with my heartburn without medication? Is there something I could eat or drink that would help?


I am sorry that you have been experiencing heartburn for such a long period of time. There are different medications - both prescription and over the counter - that are used for heartburn symptoms. However, diet and lifestyle changes can also help decrease your symptoms. You should follow up with your primary care physician to evaluate your symptoms and ensure there are no other causes for your pain. There is no specific diet for patients with heartburn or worse symptoms consistent with peptic ulcer disease. First, you should avoid any food or beverages that you specifically have noticed worsen your symptoms. Some patient feels that alcohol, acidic or citrusy, and spicy foods aggravate their symptoms, so these foods are often good to avoid as much as possible. Medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, and Advil can also worsen symptoms, so you may want to opt for tylenol or acetaminophen if you have any pain. Not eating dinner late can also help symptoms. So try not to eat for at least two hours before you go to bed. Similarly, try not to lie down shortly after eating. Medication options include antacids like Tums or Maalox, Zantac (ranitidine), and more powerful acid blockers like Prilosec (omeprazole) and Nexium (esomeprazole). You should follow up with your primary physician to discuss your symptoms and dietary concerns. Again, please discuss with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.