Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Is it dangerous to have your tonsils removed as an adult?

Had a few bouts of tonsillitis but I think its too late to have my tonsils removed. I heard that it can be really painful if you have it done later in life. Would it be worth it to have my tonsils removed? I'm 34.
Having your tonsils removed is considered to be a fairly minor procedure, no matter when you decide to have it done. At your age, you are unlikely to have major risk factor such as heart disease and lung disease that would make you a bad candidate for the surgery. I can't comment on whether it will be more painful. In any case, you will be provided with pain medication if necessary. Whether or not it would be worth it to have the procedure done is another matter entirely. Tonsillitis in adults is certainly less common than it is in kids. This accounts for why the procedure is done more commonly in kids than in adults. Nevertheless, if you need it, then you should get it done. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat doctors">doctor. This is the type of doctor that evaluates people that have had recurrent bouts of tonsillitis. Ear nose and throat doctors are also able to perform the needed operations such as a tonsillectomy (having your tonsillitis removed). After a review of your previous infection history and a thorough physical exam, the ear nose and throat specialist will know what the best route of treatment is best for you. Good luck.

• Dr. Jonathan Forman
    Dr. Jonathan Forman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    508 South Habana Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33609
  • Dr. Liesl Nottingham
    Dr. Liesl Nottingham MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2415 Musgrove Rd
    Silver Spring, MD 20904
  • Dr. David Yun
    Dr. David Yun MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    50 Alessandro Pl
    Pasadena, CA 91105