ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to have pain in your belly button?

Question

Is it normal to have pain in your belly button?

Having sharp pains in my belly button/navel. Right in the middle it hurts. What gives? Is something wrong with my stomach muscles?

Answer

Whenever someone is having pain in the belly button area, it is important to make sure that it is not a serious problem. In particular, if the pain is severe or worsening, if you have any fever, or if there are any associated symptoms, such as nausea or vomiting, you need to go see your doctor right away or go to an emergency room. This is because appendicitis, which is an emergency that requires surgery, is a condition that often presents with sharp severe pains initially in the belly button area. Other, less serious causes of pain in this area include gas distention and indigestion. If you feel like you may have indigestion, you may want to take an over the counter gas or heartburn remedy to see if this makes a difference. If not, you should see your doctor. Constipation can also cause pain in the abdomen, and it can often be relieved by drinking more fluids, taking more fiber, and perhaps taking an over the counter laxative, although more severe cases will require seeing your doctor. If there is any redness of the skin over the navel or discharge of pus from the navel, then this may be a skin infection, which would also require medical attention. Again, please discuss with your doctor!