ZocdocAnswersCan bad circulation cause muscles to be sore?

Question

Can bad circulation cause muscles to be sore?

I have soreness in the muscles in both of my feet and in my toes. Is this because I have bad circulation? Can bad circulation make your muscles and joints sore?

Answer

Yes, it is possible that poor circulation is responsible for your symptoms of muscle and joint pain. One of the most common manifestations of atherosclerotic disease is muscle pain caused due to poor blood supply and flow from damaged arteries. This muscle pain is commonly seen during any type of physical activity and ceases when you take rest. Atherosclerosis (plaque buildup within the arteries) due to various different diseases such as diabetes, smoking, heart disease, high blood pressure or kidney disease can cause the arteries to become narrow increasing the work the muscles must do because of lack of oxygen. Other causes of muscle pain may include minor sprains, bruising , or fractures. In addition, pain maybe related to muscle overuse, tension or stress, age related arthritis, changes in electrolyte levels, or if you are having an infection such as the flu. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and to provide a more detailed and specific history of your current and previous medical issues. Your doctor can perform a physical examination, and may order lab tests to determine a more exact cause for your muscle and joint soreness and come up with a treatment plan for you.