ZocdocAnswersWhy is my finger numb?

Question

Why is my finger numb?

I jammed my finger really bad playing volleyball. It happened around two months ago and has completely healed, but now it is going numb from time to time. Its the first finger on my left hand. Did I damage the nerves in my finger? Can anything be done now that it has already healed?

Answer

It is possible that you did some permanent damage to small nerve endings in your finger when you suffered the finger sprain while playing volleyball. The good news is that there is no serious pain and that the finger otherwise seems to have gotten back to normal. If you did suffer some minor damage to nerve endings, this might still improve with time. Nerve endings take a long time to regrow, and it may be several more months before the symptoms resolve entirely; on the other hand, sometimes nerve injuries do not heal completely. If you have numbness or tingling anywhere else in the hand other than this one finger, that would be more concerning for another condition. Some of the conditions that can cause numbness or tingling in the fingers include damage to nerves from diabetes or various medications. Similarly, compression or inflammation of nerves in the wrist, such as occurs with carpal tunnel syndrome, can result in more generalized pain, numbness, or weakness. I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to examine the hand and determine whether additional workup or treatment is needed.