ZocdocAnswersWhy has my penis changed shape?

Question

Why has my penis changed shape?

I'm 27 years old and I noticed an area of my penis that seems like its been dented almost. Like a little spot where it curves in near the end. Why would my penis change shape like this? Is something wrong with my muscles?

Answer

There are occasionally minor irregularities in the shape of the penis that can develop over time. This is not generally a problem. However, if the curved area becomes more prominent, or if you notice any pain or discomfort with an erection or with sexual intercourse at the area of the curve, then this could be a problem, because it could be a sign of a condition known as Peyronie's disease. Peyronie's disease occurs when an area of scar tissue begins to form on the surface of the penis. No one knows exactly what causes the scar tissue to form, but it may be related to repeated minor trauma to the penis from sexual activity. If you think that your symptoms fit this description, then you need to see a urologist as soon as possible. Peyronie's disease, if it is allowed to progress, can be very painful and it can result in significant distortion of the penis and sexual dysfunction. There are various treatments that are used for Peyronie's disease. Usually, first line treatments include injections of medications into the area of scar tissue formation. If these do not work, then sometimes surgery to remove the scar tissue is needed.