Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it possible that I have bone spurs?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it possible that I have bone spurs?


Had ankle surgery about three years ago when I broke my ankle. I've started to feel pain and discomfort in the same ankle over the last 6 months or so. Is it possible that the surgery didn't go perfectly and now I have bone spurs?


I would suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor, given that this problem has been going on now for about 6 months. There are a few different possibilities for the source of your pain. First, it is possible that you have developed bone spurs, which as you know are small growths off of the bone in areas of stress. These cause pain typically when you put pressure over the area where the bone spur is. If you have bone spurs, it is not necessarily evidence that the surgery didn't go well. Sometimes, bone spurs are an unavoidable complication from a broken ankle or other injury. Your doctor will be able to diagnose whether or not you have bone spurs with a simple x-ray. Another possibility is that you are developing some arthritis in the ankle. This is also very common, especially in those who have had multiple sprains and in those who have had bad fractures. Similarly, if you had any hardware (screws, plates) placed in the ankle during the surgery, I think it would be important to evaluate those. Your doctor will take a look and make initial recommendations. They can also refer you back to an orthopedic doctor if that becomes necessary.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.