ZocdocAnswersDo I have a throat ulcer?

Question

Do I have a throat ulcer?

There has been soreness in my throat for more than two weeks. I think that I have a throat ulcer. How would I know if I have a throat ulcer and not just a sore throat and what can I do about it?

Answer

A sore throat generally occurs due to inflammation. Its symptoms are mainly pain, a scratchy sensation in the mouth, worsening pain with swallowing. It is most commonly a result of a viral infection such as the cold or the flu, also known as viral pharyngitis. Viral pharyngitis generally resolves on its own. Sometimes, a sore throat may also be due to a bacterial infection and maybe accompanied with fevers, chills and generalized fatigue and weakness. Other causes of sore throat maybe related to recent trauma from surgery, or rarely due to cancers. Generally, the first line treatment is to treat the pain and soreness Frequently NSAIDs maybe prescribed for the relief of this pain. In addition, some simple home remedies can be performed and these include warm water gargles, frequent hydration, and rest. It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss this problem. Your primary care physician will be able to take a detailed history about your sore throat, perform a detailed physical examination of the mouth, head and neck areas as well as obtain information through lab studies to diagnose your condition accurately and to come up with a treatment plan to improve your health.