Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why is my face going numb?

One side of my face has started to go numb from time to time. It is the left side and happens periodically. Like from the top to my chin, but I really feel it (or don't feel it) in my cheek. Is something wrong with my brain? Is this an early sign of a stroke? I'm only 24 and I think I'm too young for that.
Facial numbness can have various causes and a more detailed history is needed to diagnose you properly. In young patients, Bells palsy is perhaps the most common cause of unilateral facial numbness. Bell's palsy is a form of facial nerve dysfunction that can cause facial paralysis and numbness and facial drooping. While the causes of Bells palsy is unknown, viruses, infection, immune causes have been suggested. It is more common in adults, pregnant females and diabetics. New onset migraine headaches can also cause facial numbness, weakness or pain. Rarely a stroke maybe responsible for symptoms of facial numbness as well. It is also important to rule out herpes zoster infection that is difficult to diagnose but important to rule out. Blisters or a rash maybe present. Lyme disease may also present with similar symptoms. It is very important that you make an appointment to discuss this symptom with your primary care physician or neurologist quickly. Your primary care physician or neurologist will be able to take a detailed history, perform a complete physical examination including an exam of the ears, nose, throat, and a neurological exam. Your doctor may also perform lab studies or order radiological imaging to diagnose you accurately and tailor treatment accordingly.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!