ZocdocAnswersCan something trigger asthma later in life?

Question

Can something trigger asthma later in life?

Could you be born with asthma and not have it be triggered until later in life? I'm having some breathing difficulties and I'm 31. Could I have asthma and it just now ?kicked-in??

Answer

Yes it is possible for an adult to develop new onset asthma. While many people will develop asthma in childhood, it is possible for the symptoms of asthma to occur at any point in life including during adulthood. These adults are known to have adult onset asthma. While you are 31 years old, it is possible to develop asthma in your 60s as well. Symptoms of asthma include dry cough, chest pressure, difficulty breathing (as you are experiencing), wheezing, exercise intolerance. While it is not known what is responsible for your symptoms of asthma, allergies maybe responsible. Adults can get sensitive to a new substance and this can be the cause of their symptoms of asthma. Exposure to pets, cigarette smoke, dust, perfume or workplace exposures can be responsible triggers. Medical conditions and new illness or infection may be responsible as well. Sometimes, cold weather and exercise can also trigger symptoms of asthma. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, you may require daily medication. It is important that you make an appointment with a family physician. Your doctor will be able to diagnose you properly ask questions about your symptoms, and if needed, do tests to check your lung function.