ZocdocAnswersHow can I effectively treat rosacea?

Question

How can I effectively treat rosacea?

I have rosacea and it is starting to become embarrassing. I've taken medication in the past but it didn't seem to help that much. Are there any other ways to treat my rosacea and sort of get it under control?

Answer

Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that causes redness around the face as well as pimples and skin changes that may include spider like blood vessels, pustules and acne like irritation of the skin. It is a benign skin condition and is generally harmless, except in terms of cosmetic appearance of the skin. Rosacea can be triggered by various different conditions such as temperature changes such as severe heat, humidity or cold or wind, stress, anxiety and emotions or even exercise. Some foods especially spicy foods and drinks such as caffeine or alcohol can cause the same problems. In the same way, certain medications and topical creams and skin care products are also possible triggers of rosacea. The treatment of rosacea is mainly control of the condition, generally with avoidance of triggers, topical antibiotics or oral antibiotic therapy. Sometimes, isotretinoin maybe used in severe cases also. These maybe effective temporarily but can return quickly. Sometimes, long term or lifelong treatment maybe needed to control this well. It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care physician to determine how to best approach your situation. Your doctor will be able to see what treatments have failed in the past, and after examination, provide alternative treatments to help reduce the severity of this problem.