ZocdocAnswersIs it normal not to have armpit hair?

Question

Is it normal not to have armpit hair?

I'm a 25 year old male and I've never had armpit hair and have very little hair on my chest. Is this normal or do I have some sort of glandular or hormone problem? Is it okay not to have armpit hair?

Answer

The amount of underarm hair and chest hair that men have is very individualized and variable. There are men who are very hairy in all of these locations and then there are others who have very little hair in these locations. These variations are due for the most part to individual genetic differences, and they do not in any way signify an underlying medical problem. This, of course, assumes that you have had otherwise normal sexual development. If your testicles and penis developed at a normal rate, and if you have pubic hair, then I think you can rest assured that their is nothing wrong with you! Occasionally, men will have a problem with testosterone production, and this can result in changes in the distribution of hair on the body. This is most common in older men, but it sometimes occurs in younger men, occasionally for genetic reasons but more commonly because of taking steroids or other body building chemicals. If you previously had more hair in your armpits and chest than now, or if you are experiencing any sexual dysfunction, then these might be signs of a hormonal deficiency, and you would need to set up a visit with your primary care doctor to discuss the issue.