Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is the cure for jock itch?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is the cure for jock itch?


I'm pretty sure I have jock itch. I'm positive it isn't an STD because I am still a virgin but it itches and burns a little in my pubic region. How can I treat jock itch? Do I have to go to the doctor or could I buy something from a store?


Anytime you develop any type of rash or itch in your genital area, you should be seen by a doctor so that you can get an official diagnosis and treatment. Buying over the counter creams and medicines can often get you nowhere because you don't know if you are treating the right condition. Jock itch is a layman's term for a skin infection in the groin area by a fungus. Fungi like to infect the skin in various different places, but the moist area of the groin is one of their favorites. These rashes carry a bright red to dull brown color and can be very itchy. There are other possible skin rashes that can cause these symptoms such as atopic dermatitis. This is like a poison ivy rash without the poison ivy. These two types of rashes are treated very differently. Thus, having the right diagnosis is important before buying any medications. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a close look at your rash and perhaps scrape a sample of dead skin onto a slide for further microscopic analysis. This will tell for sure if this is a fungal infection so you can get the proper treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.