ZocdocAnswersCan warts spread from one part of the body to another?

Question

Can warts spread from one part of the body to another?

If I have a wart on my finger and I touch other parts of my body will it spread to that part of the body?

Answer

Warts are growths of skin that are caused by a viral infection. There are a few different viruses that can cause warts, but the most common one is the human papilloma virus. This virus can be picked up from just about anywhere. It is not clear why some areas of skin on some people are susceptible to the development of warts. While you can get the warts from touching something infected with the virus, these do not tend to spread when touched to another part of the body. Thus, I wouldn't worry too much about what you do with the finger that has the wart. I do recommend that you have that wart removed. Warts on the fingers can be quite annoying and can get irritated if rubbed constantly. Your wart can be removed by your primary care doctor or dermatologist, whoever you prefer to see. Most physicians choose to freeze the wart in the office with liquid nitrogen. This method is faster and works better than the over the counter wart removal kits you can buy at the drug store. Another method is a medicated cream which can get rid of them. Please speak with your primary care doctor or dermatologist.