ZocdocAnswersWhat are the treatments available for genital herpes?

Question

What are the treatments available for genital herpes?

I found out I have genital herpes. I don't trust the medication, seems unnatural. Is there any other way to treat the disease? Anything I can do to help keep it under control?

Answer

Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease that is caused by herpes simplex virus type 2. IT can occur in both males and females. Generally people do not experience overt symptoms. It can manifest as blisters around the genitals or rectum, which eventually burst leaving behind painful sores that take weeks to heal. It can not only cause recurrent herpes in affected individuals but in pregnant women, also can cause fatal infections in babies if the mother is actively having a flare. Although not completely curative, antiviral medications can prevent and even shorten a flare, and reduce transmission to partners of affected individuals. The way to avoid transmission of genital herpes, is to abstain from sexual contacts with different partners, or to remain in a long term relationship with a single partner who has been tested for the same infection. In addition, it is best to abstain from sex when genital herpetic lesions or other symptoms of herpes are present. Condoms are helpful in reducing risk of transmission, especially if they are worn correctly and consistently. Partners can seek testing to determine if they are infected, and if they are not infected, they should be aware that they may become infected during sexual activity. You should follow up with your primary physician to determine the best treatment for your infection as well as to get more medical information about the same.