ZocdocAnswersWhat are these small bumps on my hand?

Question

What are these small bumps on my hand?

I have these little white bumps that are raised on my hand near my thumb. they itch a little and I don't know what it is. Is it just dry skin or do I have hives?

Answer

This is unlikely to be hives. Hives is a skin reaction in which raised, red, itchy areas of skin develop. They are usually quite large and cover large portions of the body. White bumps are likely to be a different problem. One possibility is that you have eczema. This is a condition in which, due to excessive dryness of the skin, small blisters develop under the skin. These might be the white bumps that you are seeing. They are often intensely itchy and they may coalesce to cause red, irritated areas of skin or peeling of the skin. When the eczema is limited to the hands or the feet it is often referred to as dyshidrotic eczema. Dyshidrotic eczema can be quite stubborn, so I recommend that you go see your primary care doctor to see if this is what is going on. Most cases of dishydrotic eczema will require prescription strength steroid creams in order to clear up. It is also important to keep the skin of the hands well moisturized and to avoid irritating the skin with chemicals or by submerging them in water (for example, avoid washing dishes). Set up a visit with your primary care doctor today!