ZocdocAnswersCould I be developing diabetes?

Question

Could I be developing diabetes?

Been thirsty all of the time for like a month and I heard that this is an early sign of diabetes. I'm a bit overweight but I never thought about being diabetic. Could the fact that I'm always thirsty mean that I'm getting diabetes? What can I do about it?

Answer

I think these symptoms should definitely be checked out by your doctor, especially since you are overweight, which is a major risk factor for developing diabetes. The other major risk factor would be a family history of diabetes. Symptoms of diabetes can include frequent thirst, as well as frequent urination, weight loss, constant hunger, and blurry vision. Your doctor will be able to perform some basic blood tests to screen you for diabetes. If you have not had a full annual physical in a while, it would be good to schedule this because, in addition to looking for evidence for diabetes, your doctor will also look at your weight, your blood pressure, your cholesterol levels, and other important indicators of your over all health. If you turn out not to have diabetes, it will still be important to work on losing some weight, as this is the most effective intervention you can make in terms of preventing developing diabetes later in life. Your doctor will be able to give you some advice on how to lose weight, including how to start an exercise program. They may also be able to refer you to a nutritionist, who can give you advice on how to start a healthy eating plan.