Can you get the same disease that a dog has?

Took my dog to the vet and he basically has the dog version of the flu. Can a dog's ailment spread to a person? Could I get the flu if my dog has it? I have been very sick for the last 24 hours.
As you probably know, there are many many different types of influenza virus, the causative agent of the flu. These different types of influenza virus are all specific for different types of animals. The dog flu virus is specific to dogs although, interestingly, there is evidence that it used to be a horse flu virus that mutated and adapted to dogs. The symptoms of dog flu virus in dogs are just like the symptoms of human flu viruses in humans - fever, cough, runny nose, aches and pains. There is no transmission of the dog flu virus to humans. The virus is adapted specifically to dogs and it does not cross the species barrier. However, the disease is easily transmitted to other dogs. Therefore, as no doubt your vet already told you, you should keep your dog away from other dogs until they are feeling better. If you are feeling sick, this would not be related to your dog's illness. I would suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor, who will be able to perform a complete examination and help you figure out why you also are not feeling well. I hope you start to feel better soon.