Do I have acid reflux or is it GERD?

Sometimes I get acid reflux after I eat but lately its been happening more and more. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat any more and I have that feeling in my chest and throat. Is this GERD and what can I do about it if it is?
It does indeed sound like you are suffering from recurrent gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD). This occurs when the muscle between the esophagus and the stomach becomes relaxed, allowing acid to wash up into the esophagus and throat and causing that characteristic burning sensation. You should go see your primary care doctor about this. Often troublesome recurrent GERD symptoms require a prescription for an anti acid medication, which should be taken every day to see if the symptoms can be relieved. Also, it is important to avoid other things which stimulate acid production in the stomach or irritate the stomach. These include alcohol, smoking, and anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen. For some people, certain foods, especially chocolate, coffee and other caffeine, tomato products, and the like are triggers. In some cases, bad GERD symptoms are due to an infection of the stomach with a bacteria known as Helicobacter pylori. For this reason, if you do not respond to standard anti acid medications, your doctor may want to test you for Helicobacter pylori infection. If you turn out to be infection, the infection can be eradicated with a course of multiple antibiotics. Set up an appointment with your primary care doctor today!

Other Gastroenterologists