Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why do my veins feel itchy?

This is hard to explain, but the veins on my arms feel like they are itchy. Like it isn't in the skin, but the veins themselves that feel itchy. Is something wrong with my blood or my arms?
I am not sure what to make of this symptom. Itchy veins in the legs are quite common, and this is usually to do varicose veins. But that is usually quite obvious. Varicose veins do not typically occur in the arms, so I think that your source of itching must be from something else. First of all, I wouldn't rule out completely that this could be from the skin. Sometimes, severe skin itching can feel very deep, especially if it is occurring all over the arms. Your doctor will be able to take a look at your skin and see if you have any evidence of dryness, rash, or inflammation and, if so, prescribe something topical to take away the itch and relieve the inflammation. Another possibility would be that this is a nerve problem. Neuropathy, or nerve damage, can produce many strange sensations, including numbness, tingling, and an "ants crawling on the skin" sensation. Neuropathy can be caused by many different medications and it is highly associated with certain medical conditions, particularly vitamin deficiencies and diabetes. Your primary care doctor should evaluate whether you have any features of neuropathy and, if so, help you identify the underlying cause.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)