Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why am I sweating so much?

I am a menopausal woman and I am familiar with most of the symptoms by now, but I have suddenly started sweating excessively. Is this also related to menopause or is this a separate problem?
The sweating symptoms are indeed most likely related to your menopause. "Hot flashes" during menopause are very common. The exact reason they occur is not entirely clear, but it is thought that probably fluctuations in estrogen levels have effects both on the body's central thermostat in the brain and also on the ways blood vessels in the skin dilate and contract. For many women who suffer from hot flashes, various lifestyle modifications can be helpful. In particular, cutting out smoking, caffeine, and alcohol is helpful. Regular aerobic exercise also is, paradoxically, helpful as it helps to regulate body temperature. If you are overweight, losing a few pounds may help the symptoms be less pronounced. As the flashes often occur at night, keeping a fan in the bedroom can be helpful. You should also talk to your doctor. They will want to rule out other unrelated causes of excessive sweating, especially hyperthyroidism. If the sweating does turn out to be just related to menopause, then you can discuss with them whether taking estrogen replacement therapy for a while to help relieve the symptoms might be an appropriate therapy in your case. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)