ZocdocAnswersIs liposuction safe?

Question

Is liposuction safe?

My wife is overweight and is considering liposuction to remove excess fat. I'm worried that something can go wrong during the procedure and would like to talk her out of it. Is liposuction safe? Could she encounter something life-threatening during the procedure?

Answer

Liposuction is a surgical procedure in which small cuts are made in the skin and excess fat tissue is removed using a specialized suction probe. The procedure is usually performed by a plastic surgeon. Generally speaking, liposuction is a safe procedure that is well tolerated. There are standard risks from the procedure that are associated with any surgery, including bleeding and infection. However, these risks tend to be pretty minimal. When considering liposuction, I think it is important to consider, however, that removing fat tissue does not permanently solve the problem of being overweight. Although it is a quick solution, it does not address the larger issues of lack of exercise or unhealthy eating. Many people who have liposuction quickly gain the fat tissue back if they do not also engage in a regular exercise and diet problem. A cheaper and more sustainable way to improve being overweight is to start a daily exercise program, which should include at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days of the week. A visit to a dietitian is also very helpful, as they can design a workable healthy eating plan that can reduce weight and keep it off over the long term.