Can you have too much of a vitamin in your system?

I've heard of people having vitamin deficiencies but is it possible to get too much of a certain vitamin and cause health problems? I take a multi-vitamin and separate vitamins too but I don't want to end up taking too much...
While it is very important for you to have enough of all the important vitamins in your diet, it is possible to get too much of one or more vitamins. In general, I tell most of my healthy patients that taking a multivitamin every day is fine (but not required), but most of the vitamins important for health should be obtained in the diet. People that have certain health conditions, or those who have dietary limitations should have more vitamin supplementation. In your case, it sounds like there is a possibility that you may be getting too much vitamin supplementation. People can have problems when they get too much vitamin D, E, and sometimes vitamin A. These vitamins are included in your multivitamin pill, and possibly your separate vitamins. You should consult with your doctor about which of these vitamins (if any) are necessary to maintain your health. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Bring with your the bottles of vitamins that you have been taking. Most likely you are taking more than adequate amounts of these vitamins, but your doctor will be able to tell you if you are taking too many of any of them. Good luck.

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    115 Nassau Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222
  • Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251