ZocdocAnswersWhy is my hair so oily?

Question

Why is my hair so oily?

Doesn't matter what I do, my hair is very greasy and oily. I'm a 24 year old male and hours after a shower my hair will already be greasy again. is something wrong with my scalp? Is this a gland problem maybe?

Answer

Oily hair is not a medical problem, per se. In other words, having oily hair does not mean that their is something medically wrong with your scalp or with the oil glands in your scalp. Rather, the amount of oil that is produced by the scalp is genetically determined and differs greatly from person to person. In your case, you sound like your genetics tend toward producing higher levels of oil. One very common mistake that people make when dealing with oily hair is that they think that the solution is to clean the hair frequently with shampoo and other products. It turns out, however, that washing the hair or otherwise stimulating the scalp actually results in increased oil production. Therefore, paradoxically, the solution to oily hair is to wash your hair less, not more. Similarly, you should avoid vigorously combing or brushing the hair, as these will also increase the production of oil from the scalp oil glands. Try washing your hair just every other day with an shampoo designed for oily hair and see if that makes a difference. You should also set up a visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist to get additional advice on treating this problem.