What is pain management and how does it work?

My doctor suggested I see a pain management specialist to help deal with my back pain. What does this specialist do? How does pain management really work?
I am sorry to hear that you are having such persistent trouble with your back. When back pain becomes chronic, I agree with your doctor that a referral to a pain management specialist or to a pain clinic is an excellent idea. Pain management is a discipline in medicine that is focused on helping people with chronic, incurable pain problems control and cope with their pain. The discipline is multidisciplinary, meaning that you don't just see a doctor but also will likely have the opportunity to interact with a physical therapist and a counselor. In this way, a comprehensive holistic plan for addressing your pain can be developed. Pain management doctors in particular are skilled in the use of a wide variety of medications for pain control. They are excellent at maximizing function and symptom control while minimizing dependency on potentially addictive medications. They also have access to a wide variety of other pain management techniques, such as biofeedback. nerve stimulation, and the like. Working with your pain management doctor, you will be able to better define what your goals for pain control are and come up with a safe and realistic plan to help you live a more rewarding and comfortable life.

Other Pain Management Specialists

• Dr. Michael Ellman
    Dr. Michael Ellman MD
    Pain Management Specialist
    2692 N. Galloway Ave
    Mesquite, TX 75150
  • Dr. Nand Bhardwaja
    Dr. Nand Bhardwaja MD
    Pain Management Specialist
    1744 East Boston Street
    Gilbert, AZ 85295
  • Dr. James Ellner
    Dr. James Ellner MD
    Pain Management Specialist
    120 Stonebridge Pkwy
    Woodstock, GA 30189