ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to make a callous go away?

Question

Is there any way to make a callous go away?

I've developed callouses on my feet from the boots that I have to wear to work every day. But I want them gone. Any way to get rid of a callous?

Answer

Calluses as you probably now are a normal reaction of the skin to pressure and friction. In response to these physical stresses, the skin becomes thicker and tougher, resulting in a callus. Because of this, the simplest and most important step in preventing and treating calluses is to remove the source of the physical irritation. Practically, this means that if you are developing calluses it is likely that your boots don't fit and you should think about getting a pair that does! Otherwise, although you can remove the calluses, they will just come right back again. To remove the calluses directly, do not cut at them with a knife or other sharp tool! This just runs the risk of cutting too deeply and causing pain, bleeding, and infection. Rather soak your feet in the bathtub until they become soft and wrinkly. Then, take a pumice stone and rub it gently but repeatedly over the callus. The callus will have become softened in the bathwater and it will start to rub off onto the pumice. If you repeat this every time you take a bath, the callus will soon be gone! Please do talk to your primary care doctor for more information.