Do you need to be vaccinated as an adult?

I know that when your a little kid they give you a bunch of shots for different things. Do you need more of these when you are an adult? Like I'm 26. Do I need more shots?
Keeping up-to-date on immunizations is an important part of health maintenance as an adult, just like it is for children. For young adults such as yourself, there are a number of recommended immunizations. Influenza vaccination is recommended on yearly basis to help prevent the onset of the flu. For adults aged 19 to 64, a one-time TDaP vaccine is recommended, then a Td booster every 10 years. TDaP protects against tetanus, diphtheria (a now very rare bacteria) and pertussis (the bacteria responsible for whooping cough). The Td booster provides extra immunity against diphtheria and tetanus only. Vaccination against the chicken pox virus (varicella zoster) would be recommended if you never had the chicken pox as a child. In females aged 26 years of age or less, vaccination against HPV is recommended. HPV (human papilloma virus) has been linked to cervical cancer and genital warts. If you have never been vaccinated against Hepatitis B and are sexually active not in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship then vaccination against this virus would also be recommended. There are also certain recommendations made based on health susceptibilities, such as vaccination against Meningococcus (a bacteria that can cause meningitis) if one has problems with the spleen. It is recommended that you seek out the guidance of your primary care physician who can take a detailed health history and catch you up on the vaccinations that would benefit you.

• Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024