ZocdocAnswersWhy is my testicle so sore?

Question

Why is my testicle so sore?

It isn't swollen or anything, but my left testicle is very tender and sore. I'm 29 years old and have never experienced anything like this before. Is it a sign of cancer even if the size of my testicle hasn't changed?

Answer

Testicular pain is a common problem among young males. There are several reasons for why this could be happening to you. Depending on how long you have been having these symptoms and your age, there are may be different causes ranging from benign causes to more serious ones. Sudden pain in the testicle may be related to inflammation of structures within the testicles known as the epididymis, with inflammation known as epididymitis which can cause redness and swelling on the testing. Generally, this is related to an infection and can be treated with antibiotics. You may even have symptoms of a urinary tract infection. If you have a fever and are having intense pain, this maybe a sign of a serious infection that can cause gangrene, that may require surgical treatment. An emergent cause of testicular pain is twisting of the testicle causing no blood flow to the testicle that will also require surgery. Other conditions that can cause this maybe a hernia, an injury to the testicle, varicocele. Testicular cancer is generally painless. However, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to determine the cause of your symptoms and to undergo a good physical exam that can facilitate treatment for your condition.