ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to lose excess body fat?

Question

What is the best way to lose excess body fat?

I'm not obese, but I am overweight. What is the best way to lose weight fast? Should I talk to a doctor before I start exercising or working out?

Answer

Most people who are otherwise relatively healthy and not seriously overweight should be able to begin moderate aerobic exercise without consulting a doctor first. However, the caveat is that if you are seriously overweight, or if you have any chronic medical conditions such as diabetes or a heart condition, you should see your doctor prior to starting any exercise program to determine whether or not you have any exercise restrictions. Your doctor can also give you some advice on how to combine an effective, healthy diet with your exercise program. A referral to a nutritionist might be helpful as well, as they will be able to sit down with you and help you define your weight loss goals and come up with effective meal plans. In terms of your exercise program, you should focus on consistency. It is recommended that you engage in some form of aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes per day on most days of the week. You should exercise hard enough that you are sweating and breathing a little fast when you finish. I advise that you set up a visit with your doctor for more information about losing weight and developing an effective combined diet and exercise plan.