ZocdocAnswersWhat are these small white spots on my penis?

Question

What are these small white spots on my penis?

There are a bunch of small white spots on my penis. I went to a clinic because I thought I had an STD but they tested me and said I don't have anything. So what are the spots? Are they normal?

Answer

Whenever you notices something unusual on the penis, it is important to rule out a sexually transmitted infection, which it sounds like you have done by going to see your doctor. Your doctor wil look for any sores that might be from herpes or syphilis infection and will also be able to tell if you have any genital warts. These are the major three sexually transmitted infections that can cause skin finding on the penis. If these have been ruled out, then you probably don't need to worry about these spots. There are a few anatomic variations that are found on the penis that are totally normal, depending on where they are. For example, if they spots are mostly on the shaft of the penis and appear as numerous small white or yellow spots bumps under the skin, they may be Fordyce spot. Fordyce spots are simply prominent skin glands that show through due to the relative thinness of the skin on the shaft of the penis. They are completely normal and do not require treatment. If the spots are around the rim of the head of the penis, these may be pearly penile papules, which are another benign finding that doesn't require treatment. I advise talking to your primary care doctor for more information!