ZocdocAnswersIs something wrong with my pores?

Question

Is something wrong with my pores?

I keep getting black heads on my nose and I'm wondering if something is wrong with my pores. Why would my pores be clogged all the time? It doesn't matter how much I was they are always there.

Answer

There is nothing in particular wrong with your pores. Blackheads are a very common form of acne, and they occur when the pores of the skin become clogged open with dead skin, bacteria, and other debris. Generally, there are very effective treatments for blackheads, many of which you can do yourself without seeing a doctor. I tend to start with recommending daily facial cleansing with a good anti bacterial soap and with gentle daily exfoliation. If this doesn't work, then treatment can be escalated to include a comedonolytic. Comedonolytics are chemicals which strip excess debris off the surface of the skin. The two most effective comedonolytics are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, and these are found in many good over the counter acne treatments. You can identify them by reading the list of ingredients on the product packaging. If this doesn't work, then you should go see your primary care doctor. Sometimes, a prescription strength comedonolytic is needed. Additionally, there are other creams that are used to help increase skin turnover and reduce pore size. Rarely, more stubborn cases of acne need to be referred to a dermatologist for management, but your primary care doctor can help you make this decision.