ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to prevent tendonitis?

Question

Is there any way to prevent tendonitis?

Had some tendonitis in my elbow last year that I cleared up with some meds and physical therapy. I don't want to go through that again. Is there any way to prevent tendonitis? Like stretching exercises?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had that episode of tendonitis last year, but very happy to hear that things seem to have cleared up without any residual symptoms. The key to preventing a recurrence of tendonitis in the elbow is to pay close attention to what your own body is telling you! Most cases of tendonitis in the elbow are due to overuse injuries, typically from sports, but also from work related activities. If you start to feel any pain in the area, it is important immediately to stop the provoking activity and refrain from the activity until the symptoms are completely gone. Frequent rest breaks while working or exercising may also help. Finally, stretching exercises before and after any exercise or work related activity may be helpful. When you have a flare of discomfort or pain, ice may reduce the pain and help you recover more quickly. Additionally, taking ant inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen can be very helpful. However, the key is not to "push through" the pain but to give yourself plenty of time for full recovery. I recommend that you talk with your primary care doctor for more information!