ZocdocAnswersAre fatty foods the only cause of body fat?

Question

Are fatty foods the only cause of body fat?

I've cut fatty foods out of my diet but I still have body fat around my stomach. Is there something else that is making fat in my body or does it only come from the food you eat?

Answer

The body makes fat tissue from the excess calories that are available to it. Any excess calories that you take in can be turned into fat tissue, as this is the body's way of 'storing' extra calories in a form that can be used down the road. It is something of a myth that only fatty foods can be turned into fat - in fact, excess sugar, carbohydrates, etc can all be broken down and turned into fat. In order to reduce your weight and your amount of fatty tissue, it is necessary to eat healthy, nutritious meals that don't just cut out fatty foods but that also control the overall amount of calories. If you need help designing a healthy eating plan, you might want to see a dietician, who can help you come up with a good plan for weight loss. In addition to diet, it is also important to exercise regularly, which increase the rate at which you burn of excess calories. A recommendation would be that you engage in at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days of the week. You should also make an appointment to see your primary care doctor for more information about a healthy weight loss regimen.