Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"If a male is sterile from a high temperature, can he become fertile again?"

ZocdocAnswersIf a male is sterile from a high temperature, can he become fertile again?


My friend said he has been dignosed as sterile. When he was in his early 30's he had almose died from a pancretatus attack. he has a huge diagonal scar from the top of his rib cage to this side. Recently a doctor told him since he had a fever for 106 for several days he is sterile from it. Can he produce sperm ever again?


There are many factors which can contribute to male sterility, and if your friend is concerned about this issue, he should definitely have a full consultation with a urologist or with a fertility expert. Many causes of male infertility can be identified, and some of them are treatable. I do have some doubts that fever alone could permanently cause infertility. While it is true that high temperature decrease sperm viability, this association is weak. Furthermore, it would be unlikely that fever alone could permanently damage the ability of the testicle to produce sperm. There are some exceptions to this. For example certain viral infections, especially mumps, may cause high fevers and also at the same time swelling and inflammation in the testicles. Mumps is one of the leading infectious causes of infertility worldwide. It is also possible to have infertility from a serious medical illness, often due to the malnutrition that results or from shock of the illness to the pituitary gland, resulting in decreased amounts of sex hormones. Sometimes this damage may be permanent, if the episode of illness was severe enough to permanently damage the pituitary gland. Your friend should talk to his doctor for more advice on this issue.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.