ZocdocAnswersWhat is this bump on my ribs?

Question

What is this bump on my ribs?

I found a bump on both sides of my ribs. the one on my left side is bigger & painful if I lie on it. on the left, its about the size of a mango seed. should I be concerned, or could it be just fat?

Answer

Is the bump soft and easily moveable under the skin? If so, then it is probably a lipoma. Lipomas are benign tumors that are made of fat cells. They do not turn into cancer, and they do not cause any major medical problems. As long as the lipoma remains small, there is no need to do anything. The only treatment for a lipoma is to have it surgically removed. Therefore, it is best to leave it alone unless it starts to grow rapidly or become very uncomfortable, at which point setting up a visit with a surgeon to discuss removal would be an option. Surgical removal of a lipoma is a simple procedure. Usually it can be done in the office setting with just some local numbing medicine injected into the skin at the site of the procedure. Usually the entire procedure takes less than 30 minutes and you would be able to go right back to work, although you would have to be careful lifting heavy weight while the cut was healing. Please do go see your primary care doctor, who will be able to make the diagnosis for you.