ZocdocAnswersCan working out cause weight gain?

Question

Can working out cause weight gain?

I've been on a diet before, and I always lost weight.when I started the gym, I gained weight, help? I am pretty sure it's muscle. So far it's five pounds. I've been eating well and hitting the gym about 4-5 days a week. I am a 16 year old female. I fit into my clothes better, but I still want to lose pounds. Will I eventually lose weight?

Answer

The simple reason that you are gaining weight is that you are consuming more calories than you are taking in. Because you are simultaneously working out in the gym, this weight gain may be more muscle than fat. If this is the case, then I would say that this is a good thing. While it seems that if you are working out, that you should burn more fat, this is not always the case. This is because during times when you burn more calories in the gym, your appetite is greater causing you to consume more food than you would have if you did not work out. This is how one can still gain weight while you work out. The only way to tip this balance is to focus on consuming fewer calories and burning more. If you only focus on one side of the equation, you won't be able to lose weight. Weight loss should always be attempted after you have discussed your plan with your primary care physician. I suggest that you schedule an appointment today. Your doctor will likely have some advice to give you and may even refer you to see a dietitian to discuss your diet in more detail. Good luck.