ZocdocAnswersHow should I treat bed bug bite marks?

Question

How should I treat bed bug bite marks?

I have the dark spots on my legs and arms and i wanted to know will they ever go away

Answer

A bed bug bite is painless and is not noticed until there are small, flat, or raised bumps on the skin. The most common sign and symptoms are redness and swelling followed by itching. Bed bug bites are a maddening annoyance but rarely a health concern. Bed bugs have not been conclusively proven to carry infectious microbes. Typically, no treatment is required for bed bug bites. The bed bug bite marks should eventually go away. How long it will take them to subside all depends on your skin's healing time. It helps to resist from scratching them, although I understand it is very difficult not to do so. If scratched, the bite areas can become infected so it is probably good idea to seek help from your doctor if your itching is severe. Steroid creams or oral antihistamines may be used for relieving the itching. Secondary bacterial infections that develop over heavily scratched areas may require a prescription of antibiotics from your doctor. I hope you find the information helpful. However, I would recommend a visit with a primary care physician to have your bite marks looked at to identify them conclusively, to make sure that they are not infected and to address any other confirms you might have.