ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when you have a painful period over two weeks?

Question

What does it mean when you have a painful period over two weeks?

I've been on my period for over two weeks now. It has been quite heavy throughout and doesnt seem to be letting up. I've never had this problem before. My periods are regular with the exception of one I missed due to stress a year ago. There is significant mount of pain in my lower back and left-side hip region. What is wrong?

Answer

There are many different problems that can cause heavy bleeding. The cause of yours depends on a few factors. One factor is the frequency that you have these heavy periods. Since this is your first one, there is a possibility that this period represents a miscarriage. If you have been sexually active recently and could be pregnant, then this is a possibility. When a miscarriage occurs, the products of conception can sometimes cause bleeding for a couple weeks. Other more common causes of heavy menstrual bleeding can be considered if you have another period that is long and heavy like this. One of the most common causes of heavy periods is uterine fibroids. Fibroids are a benign type of tumor that grow in the uterine wall. They almost never turn into cancer, but can be annoying because of the bleeding they cause. Another possible cause is endometriosis. This is where the inner uterine lining grows outside the uterus. It can cause heavy bleeding which can be very crampy and painful. Your lower back pain may be explained by endometriosis. The best physician for you to see about this problem is your OBGYN. He or she can perform a pelvic exam, obtain a pelvic ultrasound, and get some routine blood tests. After these tests, your doctor should know the cause of your prolonged period.