Is something wrong with my bladder?

Over the last week, I feel like I have to go to the bathroom, but when I get there barely anything comes out. Is there something wrong with my bladder? Is it not emptying out properly?
It really depends on a few key facts. If you were a female with symptoms of urgency, it could suggest a bladder infection. Often you may also experience some burning sensation along with frequent need to urinate as well. A bladder infection comes on more suddenly. It is much more common if you have had recent Foley catheter insertion. A woman in her "honeymoon" period can also have increased risk of a bladder infection. However, if you were a male in his senior years and experienced symptoms of urgency with incontinence, it could mean that your prostate is enlarged. Often this comes on fairly gradually. Most men in their 70's will start to experience these symptoms which are entirely manageable by medication. On the other hand, it also indicates that your kidneys are failing which is a very serious issue. Not being able to urinate for longer than a few hours can result in bladder distention and prolonged blockage can also lead to kidney failure. However, if your kidneys are already in the state of failure, you may not produce much urine at all, and the symptoms of needing to empty your bladder may be coming from the pressure in your abdomen exerting on the bladder. Your symptoms could potentially be quite serious so I would strongly suggest that you seek proper medical evaluation from an internist or urologist.

Other Urologists