ZocdocAnswersIs it possible that something is wrong with my liver?

Question

Is it possible that something is wrong with my liver?

Lately my urine has been very dark and I have had a loss of appetite. From a few things I read online, this sounds like a liver problem. Can you get a disease in your liver? I'm only 31 years old and have never been a heavy drinker so I don't know why something would be wrong with my liver.

Answer

Liver disease is certainly a possibility and I would strongly suggest that you have this evaluated. As I am sure you know, the liver is a vital organ that you cannot live without. If you suspect liver damage, this should be promptly evaluated by your primary doctor. Dark urine and a loss of appetite can be signs of liver disease, but also of many other disease. Dark urine can be caused by numerous causes. A bad liver cannot eliminate bilirubin appropriately, so it spills into the urine causing the dark color. However the most common cause is simply very concentrated urine. This happens in people with dehydration, and infection or other heart problems. Kidney problems can also cause this darkened urine. This should all be evaluated by your doctor. It is possible to have liver problems without significant drinking. It is true that drinking is the most common cause of liver damage. However almost as common is a viral infection causing liver disease -- such as from hepatitis B or hepatitis C. Food poisoning can cause hepatitis A which can cause a damage to your liver. This is a possible cause of sudden symptoms. Please see your doctor. Simple blood and urine tests can be used to evaluate your condition and provide appropriate treatment. Good luck!