What does it mean if one of my moles is red in color?

I have a mole on the back of my arm that has turned a reddish color. It does not itch but I don't know why it changed color. Is this the sign of cancer? Should I have the mole removed?
There are several keys to know when you are talking about moles and what you should be worried about. One of the most important of these has to do with changes. Any time there is a significant change in a mole, it should be evaluated. While it is sometimes something as simple as alterations in the pigmentation of the skin, it can also be something much more serious and it should be addressed by a doctor in the very near future. A dermatologist will best be able to address your questions, as they are well trained and see many of these spots every day. He or she would also be able to quickly and cosmetically remove the lesion and send it to be evaluated under a microscope if they feel that it is something that needs to be addressed. In general, the ABCDEs of moles will help you know what is concerning. A is for Asymmetry. B is for irregular Borders. C is for color changes or difference within the mole. D is for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser. E is for Evolving, or changes in a mole that has been stable. As you can see, any changes in a mole are something that should be evaluated by a doctor.

Nearby Dermatologists