ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to prevent headaches?

Question

Is there any way to prevent headaches?

When I get a headache I take some aspirin and they go away. I don't like getting them though. How do you prevent headaches? This happens all the time.

Answer

Headache can be very disabling. Although it rarely carries a sinister diagnosis, most headaches do not have an anatomical lesion. In another word, a brain tumor is possible but quite rare. Most common reasons for chronic headaches include migraines, tension, and cluster headaches. Migraines are often triggered by certain events such as lack of sleep, excessive noise, and stress etc... Patients often experience an aura before the onset of a headache, which includes a sensation of flashing lights. Mild cases can be aborted by Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS). If your headache comes with localized neurological symptoms, you should always seek out medical evaluation. Tension headaches are also very common, usually affecting the neck and the base of the skull. The tight band sensation comes around the top of the head to the around the eyebrows. The pain or soreness does not tend to move around. Symptoms get worse with stress and lack of sleep. Headaches can have numerous other etiologies including allergy, sinus headache, caffeine withdrawal or other substance withdrawals which all can also lead to tremendous headaches. These are easier to pick up by those who suffer from them, and the treatment is directed at replacing the substance. However, it is a good idea to have your condition checked out by a primary care physician or neurologist to rule out any serious diseases.