Could the pain in my toe be a bone spur?

I broke my big toe on my left foot around three months ago. The pain went away after a while but now it has come back but feels a little different. Feels like there is pain in the joint of my toe. Is this a bone spur? I know they are caused by bones healing the wrong way and I never went to the doctor about my broken toe.
A bone spur, known as an osteophyte in medical terms, is a common occurrence. That being said, I believe it would be unlikely that a bone spur is causing your symptoms. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated. There are many problems that can occur after a toe injury and unfortunately some may be long lasting and forever cause problems without proper treatment. A bone spur occurs when repeated stress is placed on the bone. The bone has a built in mechanism where it grows to strengthen itself if there is repeated stress -- and thus a new protrusion can form from the bone -- this is the bone spur. This often occurs on the heel, but can also occur on the toe. This most often occurs in the setting of bad arch support of the foot. With this history of a broken toe -- it is possible that there are many problems that have developed. A bone spur in the above sense is less likely. It is possible that you continue to have a fracture of the toe that is now displaced (separated from the rest of the bone). This requires evaluation as occasionally surgery or casting may be needed to prevent long term damage. Please see your doctor. Good luck!

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043