Why do the soles of my feet hurt?

The bottoms of both of my feet, I guess it would be the soles, have been causing me pain lately. They hurt when I walk like they are being stretched too far, but all I'm doing is walking normally. What might make my feet hurt like this?
Pain in the feet is a very common. There are many causes and fortunately, many cures. I would recommend that you have this evaluated by your primary care doctor. He or she, if it is deemed appropriate, may refer you to a foot specialist (known as a podiatrist). The foot is actually a very complex structure. The small area of the feet must support the entire body's weight as well as provide the movability required for us to move. Because of this, it is very easily injured. The tendons, muscles, bones and ligaments can all cause a problem. Probably the most common cause of the bottom of the foot pain is a process known as plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is the tendon that connects the bones of the bottom of the foot. This plantar fascia can easily be inflamed by repetitive stress -- caused by walking and the weight of your body. This normally occurs because an abnormal arch of your foot. Other common problems include bone fractures, nerve problems and muscle problems. Talk to your doctor. There are many treatments for this. You may need better arch support which can be provided by an orthotic (shoe insert). I would strongly recommend a podiatrist. Good luck!

Other Podiatrists