Why is my tongue swollen?

I don't know what's going on but my tongue has all of the sudden become swollen. It is smooth on the top like the swelling has taken away the texture on the top. What is going on with my tongue?
Your tongue can be swollen for many different reasons, but it is important to identify which is affecting you so that it can be treated and so that you can make sure that there is nothing more serious going on. Glossitis is the term that is used for swelling and inflammation of the tongue. Obviously, trauma such as eating hot foods can be painful and damaging to the tongue. Allergies, such as often occur with foods or dental work (or even the glue used for dentures), can also cause irritation and swelling. Among the many other things that can cause this condition is also the concern for nutritional deficiencies, such as some of the essential vitamins and minerals that we all need to eat. You can obviously narrow down the cause of your specific symptoms by recollecting if you have had any trauma or if your diet has been poor lately. Alternatively, changes in your toothpaste or recent dental work may cause you to suspect an allergy. Please speak with your doctor. He or she will be able to quickly make suggestions to help you feel better.