ZocdocAnswersCan you get bed sores from being in bed for a week?

Question

Can you get bed sores from being in bed for a week?

I'm going to have back surgery and will have to be in bed for a while. A week at least. Will I get bed sores if I stay in bed this long? I've heard it doesn't take very long for them to start.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are going to have back surgery, and I hope that goes well for you! Bed sores are areas of skin breakdown that occur when pressure from bony protrusions (such as the bumps in the pelvis and spine) press on the skin against the bed. They can be a very serious problem, usually in people who are bed ridden for a long time and who have either a major medical illness (for example in an intensive care unit), who have impaired sensation (for example from a spinal cord injury), or who have a medical problem that delays wound healing (such as diabetes). Therefore, if you are an otherwise healthy person, the likelihood that you will develop bedsores is low. Furthermore, all nurses in every hospital in the country are extremely skilled at preventing and detecting bed sores and other skin problems. While you are in the hospital recovering after your surgery, they will be constantly checking you for any signs of skin breakdown and doing their very best to prevent such a thing from happening. Regardless, I would recommend discussing this issue (and any others you may have) with the surgeon who will be performing the procedure. He or she will be able to help you understand any potential risks, including bedsores. Best of luck.