ZocdocAnswersHow can I make my shoulder stop coming out of socket?

Question

How can I make my shoulder stop coming out of socket?

Since I was a teenager I've had trouble with my shoulder. During different activities it will fly out of socket. Is there anything I can do to make this stop? I'm 22 now and it is still happening. Is there a surgery that might be able to correct this?

Answer

It sounds like you may be having recurrent shoulder dislocations. This is where the shoulder joint comes apart and needs to be placed back in. An initial shoulder dislocation is usually caused by a sports injury. The initial injury is often the most painful and can take weeks to feel better. This first injury stretches out the ligaments and tendons that help keep the shoulder joint together. This makes it easier for the next impact or other sport activity to cause a second shoulder dislocation. The second dislocation makes it easier to have a third, and so on. The first therapy that should be attempted is shoulder muscle strengthening. Strengthening the muscles around the shoulder can help keep the joint in place. A physical therapist is the best type of health care professional that can help with these exercises. If these don't work, then you may need an operation to strengthen the tendons and ligaments that hold the shoulder together. Either way, the best type of physician for you to see about this is an orthopedic surgeon. This type of doctor can evaluate your shoulder and see what mode of treatment is best. If he or she thinks that more conservative measures such as strengthening exercises may work, then you can try these first.