Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is the pain in my heel a heel spur?"

ZocdocAnswersIs the pain in my heel a heel spur?


What is a heel spur? I have this weird pain in my heel when I walk on the right side. Is that what it is? How do you find out if you have one and how do they make it go away?


I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor. There are many possible issues that could be causing your symptoms. Fortunately, there may be a good treatment. There are many causes of heel pain. A heel spur is a possibility -- although often these are not that painful. A heel spur occurs from repetitive use of the foot (which we all do) but with inappropriate stress being placed on the heel bone (calcaneous). Because of the stress the bone grows and the spur then can cause problems with the nerves or muscles. Because the bone is the part of the body that is abnormal in a spur, an X-ray to look at the bones can be helpful is seeing if this is the case. Quite honestly, a more common and likely possibility is what we call plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is the soft tissue connection between the foot bones that runs across the bottom of the foot and attaches to the heel. If this piece of tissue becomes inflamed -- this is known as plantar fasciitis. This occurs because of poor arch support. Therefore treatment with shoe inserts and or orthotics can help. See your doctor. If necessary, he or she can refer you to a foot doctor (a podiatrist). Good luck!

Need more info?

See a podiatrist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.